Thursday, February 14, 2013

The Dream World: The Secret Behind Passing Out



  Martial arts. Self-defense. Fighting. These are all phrases. But what do they mean? Do they imply that it's all 'art' out there? Is being able to hurt someone 'self-defense'? Or does it all come down to 'fighting'? The bloody-fisted, bone-crunching, black-eye-at-the-end-of-the-day fighting? No, I am here to tell you otherwise. I am here to tell you that, at the end of the day, what you know as an art or a form of defending yourself or a way to beat up someone is simply a sport. A sport that you can grow to love. A sport that you can take seriously or for granted. A sport meant to raise your confidence, strengthen your body, and give you a heck of a time while doing. And no matter what, nothing is wrong with a sport.
  
  In football, you may get trampled. In soccer, you may get tripped. In baseball, you may get hit. And in any 'martial art', you may get hurt, and very badly. But at the end of the day, who or what is to blame? The answer is nobody. There is no blame. It is part of the game. It is part of the sport. You might get hurt. You may quit the sport, maybe you don't want to get hurt again or maybe you just can't do it anymore. But there's always something that stays behind, something that clings on and that you hold onto, impossible to let go of. The experience stays. Possibly the thrill. The hardships, oh, definitely. But what you never forget is the time you spend with your friends. They are your friends. He/she had to stop you from scoring a point. He/she didn't want to hurt you, it was just part of the sport. The sport you wanted to do with him/her. The sport you enjoyed together. He/she had to help his/her teammate, and not you. That doesn't mean he isn't your friend. You weren't on his team. Part of the sport. You still like the sport? Your choice. But your friend stays. He/she won't leave. He/she can't destroy you, not on purpose. Never on purpose. Why would they? It's just a sport, it can go away, but your friend stays.

  Now, sports are no joke. They are fun, VERY fun, but they come with consequences. Boxers  can get brain damage. Basketball players can ruin their knees. And we all know what can go wrong in free-falling. But you don't care. The sport was there, and you wanted a part of it. You knew the dangers, but danger is forever. You cannot miss out on something you cherish. If the sport calls out to you, enjoy it. Don't think about brain damage or twisted knees or the big splat. Just think about your need for the thrill. And think about your need for your friends. They are there to hang out with you, talk to you, even guide you. And in a sport, they can hurt you. But they can save you. And if they don't, it's not like they didn't want to. It's not like they planned it all. Allah knows best, so if what you and your friends wanted to do ever goes wrong, know that nothing can ever be you or your friend's fault. 

  My friends introduced me to the sport of BJJ (Brazilian Jiu Jitsu). It is called a martial art. It is a good source of self-defense. And it is a sport. When I first started training, I didn't think it was too bad. The moves and techniques were, and still are, very useful to every extent. I myself also found it as a good source of exercise. But then, yesterday (or yesternight), it happened. I was sparring with my good friend, a neighbor of mine, when he got me in an excellent choke. All part of the sport. All part of being friends. Neither he, nor anyone else, could have expected that I would would pass out on that day (or night. Seriously, it depends). All I remember is hanging on, trying to get out, but then finally deciding to 'tap out', or concede. And I did. But by then, I couldn't breathe. Then my eyes closed. 
  
  The others in the room say my eyes rolled. It was dark. It was almost peaceful. I could hear things. I could feel myself spitting, vomiting. I could hear my younger brother crying, and someone going to get him. I could feel myself being rolled over. And then I woke up. The blackout had only lasted seconds. It felt like forever in what I have dubbed 'The Dream World'. You can see yourself. You are in and out of your body at the same time. You can catch bits and pieces of what is happening. But when I woke up, I remembered nothing. I had had no idea what had just happened. I had had no idea that, in an attempt to accomplish a successful choke in the good of the sport, my good friend, one of my lifelong friends, had caused me to pass out. It was my first experience. It was one of my many hardships and pains. And it was part of the sport. He had attempted to save me. The vomiting caught him off guard. Another of my friends, an instructor, intervened and put me into a 'recovery position'. I survived. I'm fine right now. I had scared a bunch of my other companions. But after it was over, after I had gotten my breathing together, we talked and even laughed about it afterwards. Why not? No one was hurt. No one was to blame. We all completed another influential and successful class. And I will still continue the sport. One hardship may be enough to discourage you. One hardship could permanently end your love or desire for a sport. But my advice to you is, no matter the hardship:

  Never hate your friends. And never forget them.

  Until next we meet. 

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. " Don't think about brain damage or twisted knees or the big splat."
      He means what would happen if you did skydiving and your parachute didn't open (a big splat!). Hahaha

      Delete
  2. I think if anyone did B.J.J long enough they would eventually pass out from getting choked. I have gotten close to passing out but taped before my vision was fully gone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way DarkPacMan, you might want to try THISbackground instead of the one you already have, it looks better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Hello new wallpaper! But im sticking with the, you know, "Force Lightning" background. Since it's force lightning. Seriously, you need to look up Star Wars.

      Delete